On May 22, 1998 the New York Mets trade Preston Wilson, Geoff Geotz and Ed Yarnall for number 31 in your playbook, Mike Piazza. Although Todd Hundley was my first favorite player, Mike Piazza helped put the Mets over the top and into the playoffs. And in 2000 they got as far as the World Series with him being a key player in getting there. He is arguably the best hitting catcher with over 2000 hits and 427 hits being home runs, 1335 RBIs and a .308 batting average. Those numbers compiled while playing the most demanding position on the diamond as a catcher. Piazza would step into the batters box and the opposing pitcher would fear the ball was going to go over the fence. Mike Piazza didn't have much around him when they went to the World Series in 2000. If Mike Piazza was on the 2015 Mets, this 2015 team would be looking at at least a wild card spot in the playoffs. You get back acne one time and 25.01 plus percent of the BBWAA goes crazy and thinks he did steroids. Just because you play during this era doesn't mean you automatically took steroids. I think in Mike Piazza's first year on the Hall of Fame ballot, the only question about him should have been Los Angeles Dodgers hat or New York Mets hat. I just hope Piazza gets the 75% needed to be asked up to Cooperstown.
I would also like to thank Mike Piazza for my favorite home run...I'd talk about it but I'll just show it because this clip puts it in such a better way.
No comments:
Post a Comment