Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Opinion on the Billboard Project

     This billboard project is finally funded so I figured I would give me opinion if the Wilpon's should sell or hold onto their team.
     The Mets are looking like they could be a great team. They have the pitching lined up to be great, they even have the depth to make a deal for a hitter so they could be great. They also have a few hitters in the minor leagues that could come up and be impact bats for the Mets. It'll be fun to see in the next coming years.
     The Wilpon's should not benefit from this though. I have wanted to always get some form of season tickets for the Mets, but when I could finally afford it, they are not putting a decent product out there. So then I just say I'm going to get individual tickets and I'll try to go to as many games as I can. But then I think of all the times the Wilpon's have lied to the fans. Like by saying that the Madoff thing won't effect the team, that they have the money to spend on players for the team. So what happens? The Wilpon's take out a loan from MLB and then they don't make the product on the field any better. This is New York, we care more about what you're doing today than what you have planned. What you have planned may never happen but winning today could. They want the best possible product they can have in the field. They could have gotten Nelson Cruz in 2014 but decided Chris Young was that great missing piece. "Lightning in a bottle" is a term used when describing signing Marlon Byrd because it was a lucky signing that worked out, Byrd wound up being a bright spot on the Mets that year. Chris Young was not a bright spot, he was given every opportunity to succeed because they needed him to. They didn't want him to fail so Sandy could be like, "Hah! See, I know what I'm doing, you guys ought to buy into what I'm doing" but instead it blew up in the Wilpon's face. It showed that the Mets really aren't going to go out there and spend a little extra for a fan base that is thirsty for wins and wants nothing more than competitive September baseball. Of course the playoffs and a World Series banner wouldn't hurt either but we'll start at competitive September baseball. This hasn't happened since 2008, and that was tough to watch when they weren't able to close the door when they had a lead. Then 2009 started the decline and the Wilpon's didn't try to stop it.
     The Wilpon's, if they want to make money, will have to spend money. They won't see a return until they show us they are deserving which they haven't. The Mets could put out a good ball club while still building for the future but instead they just get an outfielder and say, "Okay, this team is ready to go!" I have been excited recently because of the minor leaguers that the Mets have gotten, not because of the product on the field. Only because of the product that COULD, maybe one day, hopefully be on the field. Oh and speaking about being on the field, the way they handled that Matt Harvey injury was a joke. He will be thinking of how he wasn't allowed to be in New York when his contract negotiations come around. Oh, and his agent is none other than the beloved Scott Boras, loved by his clients, hated by the owners.
     I don't think the Wilpon's should be the owners anymore. Even though the Mets are headed in the correct direction with the farm system I don't think the Wilpon's should be the owners. This banner, by Gary Palumbo, I think is the right thing to do. The Wilpon's have had this team for long enough not spending money. Not spending money in a New York market shouldn't happen. The Wilpon's could own a team like the Twins, Royals or Pirates where they just say, "Okay this just wasn't our year." I can't even say the Padres or Mariners because they have made moves to better their team in the now. New York is a big market that should not be in the same category as the Royals when spending money. The Mets could be in the same category in excitement as the Royals last year but not spending money. Fans are not stupid, they see what's going on. Fans see the Mets aren't spending money so why should a fan spend money on a ticket? They would much rather spend it on a billboard to go up so the Mets can find some new owners.

No comments:

Post a Comment