Thursday, December 24, 2015

Bye Bye Murphy

Twas the night before Christmas, not a creature was stirring...except the pesky Nationals. Listen I get it Murphy needed a home and he probably wanted to stay on the east coast. He probably wanted to stay in the National League as well. The Nationals do have a vacancy at second base. But why did Murphy have to be the Nationals guy? That kind of sucks. I just don't like the sound of Murphy having to face the Mets more times than say the Angels, who are in need of a left handed bat.

For seven seasons Murphy developed into a fan favorite in New York. He came up through the Mets system and was a third baseman in the minors. After the catastrophe that was Murphy out in left field, he settled into second base while still playing a little first and third here and there. He settled in at second base as an every day ball player. Consistently making contact and having a knack to not strike out. His defense wasn't anything spectacular and his baserunning sometimes had you wondering what he was thinking but at the plate he would do the little things. He would move the runner over, or get a single to start a rally. He was a team guy and when Wright went down with an injury, he stepped up as a leader in that clubhouse. But for $37.5 million over three years, he's gone to extend the rivalry with the Nationals.

I'm happy he got paid. For all the people that think that Murphy should have stayed a Met, if the Mets wanted him they've had years to resign him but I don't think he ever fit in their plans. I think he would have fit better with the Angels. His left handed bat in that lineup, playing second, third or even first base while getting time as a DH would have been pretty nice for him.

I think the Mets are looking at Steve Pearce who can play left field, first, second, right, and even has experience at third might be the new right handed bat. I'm not a huge fan of him because I still feel like the Mets need a guy that can back up at center field that isn't named De Aza. It just seems like a cheap piece for the Mets bench. Pearce might not be the guy the Mets should be looking at but maybe bring back Uribe for insurance at third base. He's a clubhouse guy and can play well with some pop. Maybe an Austin Jackson signing?

Thank you Daniel Murphy for all the memories! I will always enjoy the postseason that you had, for carrying the team to the World Series in the postseason and stealing third base will never be forgotten. Thank you Daniel Murphy!

Do you think Pearce fits? Who do you think the Mets should sign?

No comments:

Post a Comment