I remember on May 22, 1998, being 10 years old and my dad coming into the house saying, "The Mets got Mike Piazza." Not knowing much about baseball at the time, I just saw someone taking over my Todd Hundley's position and I didn't like it. Todd Hundley was my favorite player up until he was traded on that cold December morning.
My dad came into the house after work and exclaimed that Mike Piazza was a Met, he had the newspaper in hand and the back page was of Mike Piazza. I only recognized the name "Wilson," being the son of Mookie, I was sad that he was traded. Then little by little I warmed up to him. His bat had me cheering and hoping for a trophy. In 2000 he made the final out in the last game of the baseball season. In 2001 he hit my all time favorite home run. It was a homer that meant so much more than two runs. It allowed for New York to cheer again, it gave us a reason to smile and be happy.
Mike Piazza deservingly so made it into the Hall of Fame this past Wednesday. I'm very to hear about this. Tom Seaver finally has some company in Cooperstown.
What do you think about Piazza's induction?
No comments:
Post a Comment