Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Alejandra De Aza Signing and the Ripple Effect

Alejandra De Aza. That's the outfielder that will compliment Juan Lagares out in center field. It will also allow for some flexibility for Conforto to come along during the season. De Aza signs for a one year deal for $4.5 million plus $1.25 million in performance bonuses. This seems like the cheap way out for getting an outfielder. This seems very similar to the Chris Young signing a couple of years ago: While they didn't know how the market would play out, they gave CY a deal for $7.25 million, while Nelson Cruz signed a deal for $8 million with the Orioles a little while after. I don't need to remind you of how both deals worked out. With so many outfielders yet to sign, I think the Mets could have tried to get the ball rolling with signing a free agent outfielder, a good one. Not one from  the bargain barrel. I think the only thing that's good about this deal is that it's probably right in line with what De Aza was projected to make this year and the fact that it's a one year deal.

I like that it's a one year deal so that they can go after another outfielder, or in the best case scenario, Lagares shows he can hit pitchers from both sides of the mound and Conforto proves he's an every day left fielder. Lagares is a premium defensive centerfielder while his offense has coaches yearning for more. I like Lagares and what he brings to the table. His defense is exciting to watch and it's something that is starting to be noticed and coveted (ie Jason Heyward). His offense isn't so bad. He's a bottom of the order hitter. Sure, I'd like a better bat in the lineup, but that's where the corner fielders come into play. But why not? A ball in the mitt can win the game just as much as a ball over the fence.

I would be kind of surprised if De Aza made it on the team for the whole year. De Aza is not a starter, so if a starter had to spend time away from the MLB roster due to injury or more seasoning, they would need someone other than De Aza. They could still be in the market for another bat with Michael Cuddyer retiring, but that's more of a right handed bat off the bench. I wouldn't mind seeing Austin Jackson in orange and blue. He could sign for something inexpensive and his upside is way higher than De Aza. I think that Jackson, with all the lefties already on this team, would be a good fit.

I like to believe that this deal still leaves a chance for a Cespedes or Justin Upton signing, but I don't think that either of those guys were ever an option for this lineup.

What do you think? As far as outfielders, who do you think the Mets should sign next?

No comments:

Post a Comment