Monday, April 20, 2015

Mailbag Monday: Q&A

Dear Bryan,

With the wave of injuries haunting the Mets (because we can never have nice things), where do they go from here for a lefty specialist? Does Kevin Plawecki play full time or back up to Recker? Gillmartin was a starting pitcher before joining the Mets and cannot be relied upon as a LOOGY. So what happens now? Do I collapse in my 07-08 depression or are there reinforcement on the horizon like Gandalf at Helms Deep? Thanks for the time and love the blog!

-Mike from Mineola

To Mike from Mineola,

Two injuries in the matter of thirty minutes, two injuries that were doing very well before going down. Jerry Blevins and Travis d’Arnaud going down means that the Mets have two options, they can fall back to the pack and blame it on the injuries or some players can step up and do well while helping the Mets.

Well the Mets certainly have problem in having to find a lefty specialist. (For those that don’t know LOOGY stands for Lefty One Out Guy- the lefty specialist that is called upon to verse that tough lefty). Gillmartin was a starting pitcher but he is a left handed reliever. I think the first person the Mets look at is Alex Torres, I don’t think he will be the answer but hopefully he can surprise us and be the guy to get out those tough lefty’s that the NL East always seems to have, i.e. Freddie Freeman, Bryce Harper, Chase Utley, Christian Yelich (Giancarlo Stanton because he just hits). But the Mets are going to need someone to step up and fast because they are versing Freddie Freeman and his Braves tomorrow night. Alex Torres will get the first crack at it. Gillmartin will probably get a crack at it if Alex Torres can’t get the job done. Starter or not, the Mets need a left handed reliever to get out all of the left handed batters in this division. Gillmartin was a starter before but after being drafted in the Rule 5 draft, I’m sure he’ll do whatever keeps him in the Majors and helps this team win. I don’t think Gillmartin will get the chance to start with the Mets but I think Gillmartin could get a few innings every now and then but he’s spot could be better suited for an inning that has a big left handed bat in it. 

I really like Kevin Plawecki, I don’t like the reason Plawecki is up here though. d’Arnaud always seems to be doing well and then gets injured, this is a recurring theme, maybe its just that he seems like he’s always doing well. I think Plawecki will be given the job coming up from the minors. I think he could have almost gotten the job out of spring training but d’Arnaud was the starter, Plawecki was to go down to the minors and get more work in, he would be called up if he was needed. Well now Plawecki is needed, so let’s see what he can do. Kevin will start out being handed the job and I think it will take a lot to get him out of that slot- until d’Arnaud comes back. Recker will be the backup and help teach Plawecki about the majors and the pitchers. Plawecki will be the full time catcher while he is with the Mets. 

I think what happens now is up to the Mets players, they didn’t miss a beat when Captain Wright went down with a hamstring and continued along their win streak. The Mets are 10-3 and they were 10-3 to start off the season in 2006 and 1986. There where injuries during those seasons as well but the team was able to overcome them. During a 162 game season there will be injuries, it’s how you overcome those injuries that will define the team. This Mets team could have very easily said, “Oh man Wright’s out, we’re done, let’s just throw in the towel.” But they kept on winning. It’s still very early but let’s see how this pans out. Boston has won divisions while going through injuries and Terry Francona was praised for what he was able to do while the team was injured while the Yankees also went through injuries and weren’t able to overcome them. I think the Mets could very well keep moving forward through these injuries. They have the depth to be able to keep moving forward and push through these injury’s. Only time will tell if they crumble like Saruman or prevail like the 2,000 soldiers did. Gandalf brought reinforcements and I think the Mets have the means necessary to prevail. No need to go into depression like you did during that dark time. It’s a new day and even on a dark day like yesterday seems brighter than 2007 and 2008.  

Thank You for your question Mike. If anyone else would like to ask me a question please feel free to ask me a question by e-mailing me at: fighttilwon27@gmail.com. I look forward to hearing all your questions and will answer them in a timely fashion.

     As always thank you all for your support because as much as I enjoy writing about the Mets I really enjoy the support from the fans.



-Bryan 

No comments:

Post a Comment