Eric Campbell made Terry Collins look good by get a two run single. On Campbell’s first pinch hit of the year, it was bigger than just giving the Mets the lead. deGrom only had 82 pitches through six innings and could have very well gone for another one or two innings. deGrom was lifted for a pinch hitter and that pinch hitter put him in line for a win. The thing is I almost want deGrom in to hit for himself there because he’s a good hitter. The fact that Campbell came through was big because fans might have been saying should have let deGrom hit for himself there, but since Campbell got the hit, there is no discussion.
deGrom went six innings, surrendering only three hits striking out eight while giving up no free passes on 82 pitches. In the fifth he gave up a two run homer to Nationals catcher, Wilson Ramos. The Mets then had their bullpen set with Mejia coming in to pitch the seventh, Parnell the eighth and Familia the ninth. The Mets got some insurance runs in the ninth but with Familia already ready and this a must win game, Familia went out there to pitch the ninth.
I liked that Granderson swiped his eighth bag of the year. I like that he seems to be moving on the base paths, that’s really great to see. Is Lagares’ elbow hurting him when he’s swinging? He isn’t the same player and I think he need to take the time to get back to full strength. I wanted to say this before Cuddyer’s chronic knee pain that could land him on the DL.
Who will the Mets get for outfield help? Do you think Nimmo’s value is at it’s peak right now? Maybe the could package him and Niese for an outfielder and/or a shortstop. I’m really on the fence about trading Niese, I think it’s a good time to trade Niese with him being hot and all but will he really bring back someone that is that good, even if he’s packaged with someone else? Is Colon going to stay throughout the year? On such a young staff, he’s been the workhorse of the staff, eating up innings and passing on knowledge to the rest of the staff. He passes on knowledge while the staff passes on what seems to be youth to Colon.
I like the fact that it seems the Mets are playing more small ball, just trying to move the runner over. I still think they are in need of a bat even more so if Cuddyer finds his way onto the DL. It is too much to ask of Michael Conforto to come up here and carry this staggering Met offense.
Another name that is now out there on the trade block is Yoenis Cespedes. Would like to see him in a Met uniform? What do you think it would take to get him?
No comments:
Post a Comment