Sunday, July 19, 2015

Doubleheader In One Game!

Eighteen innings! Eighteen innings of a 1-1 ballgame that should have been over in half that. 318 pitches seen by the Mets, with 25 runners left on base (1-26). That’s abysmal! The red birds  left four runners on base and saw only 239 pitches.

Somehow the Mets pulled out a win in a game that seemed to never end. Keith Hernandez started to get aggravated. In the 13th inning, when the Mets first scored they left Plawecki on third base, with nobody out. I am happy they squeaked out this win but my golly, this game was troublesome to watch! But at the end of the day, the Mets remain only two in back of the Nationals. I’m happy they found a way to win. 

I was really happy to see Granderson running. He stole two bases today and I would like to see more of that. Terry seems more inclined to put on the hit and run now that this team hasn’t been able to score. I like the hit and run for this team too, gets the offense going. I also liked that he put the squeeze on to take on another run. What was even more surprising than that was that Campbell actually laid it down!

Lost in all this was another great pitching effort by Jon Niese. He went 7.2 IP, fanning three, walking one and hitting one batter. He allowed only five hits. This is his eighth straight quality start. During that time he has only surrendered 14 runs in 55.1 IP. With this a sellers market, his value might not be going up but he certainly isn’t hurting his value. I think there are two pitchers that need to go before Jon Niese goes, and those two are Johnny Cueto and Cole Hamels. Once those two find new homes, then maybe Niese might be looking at a new home.

One fit might be the Cubs, maybe for Dexter Fowler? He will be a free agent after this season and he could be a leadoff batter as well. Or maybe if the Brew Crew are looking to take Jon Niese for, say Jean Segura.


What did you think about that game? What do you think about trading Jon Niese? Do you think they still should? Who would you like to see them get?

No comments:

Post a Comment