A pretty good shortstop is going to be starting every five days. Him and his lettuce are going to be on the pitchers mound. I like this kid a lot. deGrom was a major bright spot for a team that went just 79-83. After winning the Rookie of the Year, he only adds more hope for 2015. He will be in a pretty powerful pitching staff that hasn't even reached it's full potential with all the minor leaguers coming up and pitchers to be traded. He had a 2.69 ERA with 22 starts in 140.1 innings. His strikeout total was 144 and he only let up seven round trippers.
I would really like to see deGrom's innings go up to around 160-170. This will be an extra 3-5 games, meaning 25-27 out of a possible 32 starts. I think with the way this league babies pitchers, this will be right in line for him and the Mets. Then the following year after an injury free season, he will be able to pitch 200+ innings. I think in 2015, with his innings going up, his numbers take a slight hit. His ERA goes a little bit above three, his strikeouts go from a little more than one per inning to under one per inning (145-150). I think in this rotation he can project as a number three, maybe a number two. Not that the number in the rotation really matters except for MAYBE the win loss record. This is the year that deGrom needs to focus even more on because there will be even more pressure on him due to last year's success.
The fact that there is so much that the other teams can look at now and learn from deGrom's first season in the bigs might make for him to cracked during his second year. I think that if deGrom uses his resources to his advantage, he can wind up having a very good season again. I think he will hit speed bumps but doesn't every pitcher not named Clayton Kershaw? deGrom is quickly becoming a fan favorite, it must be the hair. He has to resources to prevail like I know he can.
What do you think? Do you think he can have a home in the Mets starting rotation even with all these pitchers coming up?
No comments:
Post a Comment