Dillion Gee will probably now not be traded and start the season as the Mets fifth starter. I think Gee is a formidable major league pitcher. He will probably have an ERA hovering around four. If he's lucky he could have an ERA around 3.50. I don't think he will be starting for the whole year, or if he does, it will be because Jonathon Niese or Bartolo Colon has been traded. I think Gee will win a handful of games before one of the many pitching prospects come up and the future begins.
I think the first pitching prospect that will be called upon will be Noah Syndergaard. Barring injury or even a slow start, Thor (nickname of Noah Syndergaard's) will be up by probably May, maybe in July when the super two deadline is. It depends very much how Gee is doing. Niese gets a pass because he is the Mets lone lefty for the time being and Colon gets a pass because he will probably be used as trade bait come the trade deadline. There is a name that could come up as a starter if one of those three come down with an injury.
Rafael Montero's name could be a gap filler. Sometimes some people only need a chance to show what they can do. I think Montero will eventually get his chance, either in orange and blue or another color but he will be given his chance. I just hope it's in orange and blue. If he can seize the moment and fill in for Wheeler, it will make his stock even higher and give the Mets another difficult decision to make in, is Montero a trade chip or part of the Mets future. There is another pitcher in the Mets system that could take Wheeler's spot.
I think that Long Island native Steven Matz could be a dark horse in this situation. Steven Matz has been through a lot since being selected 72nd overall in 2009. He then had to undergo Tommy John surgery in 2010 and couldn't make his minor league debut until 2012, June 20, 2012 to be exact, almost three years from when he was signed by the Mets. He would later be shut down because of shoulder tendentious to finish 2012. With Matz's luck some might have given up but he's very persistent and has seen his hard work prevail. He has become one of the Mets promising prospects but he still has a lot to work to become a top MLB pitcher. The 6'2, 200 pound lefty has a fastball, curveball, slider and changeup. His fastball is his best pitch with his curve coming in second. He needs to trust himself with his curveball. It's good, but if his command and confidence was there it would be even better. I think with a little bit more time in the minors to prove to him that he has a very good curve would do him good. He will also be working on his command over that time, having the same motion and same delivery. After he works on that in the minors, he will be able to make the jump to the majors, as a starter. If he's only able to kind of work on that, he will be a lefty middle reliever. I think he will need some seasoning in the minors but he could be a dark horse.
I think it's a battle for Gee and Montero during spring training. It will also depend greatly on if anyone is traded before April 5th. Who do you think the Mets will have as their fifth starter? Do the Mets go with six pitchers? Do you think Thor winds up coming up to make 15-20 starts? Do you think, with time, Matz is able to have more control over his pitches by changing his mechanics? Do you think the Mets wait for the super two to bring up Thor or Matz?
No comments:
Post a Comment