Sunday, January 25, 2015

Player Profile: Juan Lageres

   This might be my one of my favorite players. The way he patrols centerfield is truly poetic. He tracks the ball down very well. He is able to take away centerfield from hitters and the way the outfield is this year he's going to need every jump on the ball he can get. Lagares was a shortstop early in his career but then was moved to centerfield and he's flourished there.

     His defense has given him the ability to make it very had to sit him, as it should. In 2013 he wowed everyone with his defense. He was just up and coming and his bat was still a little bit underdeveloped but being the best defender at a position that is difficult to defend kept him out there to work on his bat. He just won a golden glove for his brilliant play in centerfield 2014 after not being the starting job coming out of spring training. I'm not really sure why Lagares wasn't given the job coming out of spring training but then I just think about the team I'm watching and realize there doesn't need to be a logical answer to that question. Maybe it was just Terry flipped a coin that day and it kept landing Lagares on the bench. Lagares had 304 chances, making 293 outs, six assists and only five errors. And he would glide to the ball with ease, making it look so easy. It wasn't like he was a slouch at the plate either.

     In the 416 at bats in 2014 he was able to compile, he had a slash line of .281/.321/.382, 24 doubles, 13 swiped bags and a 5.5 WAR (Wins Above Replacement). Most of the year last year he was thrown into the bottom of the order, until he was given the chance to leadoff at the end of the year. He is projected to be at the top of the order this year again. I would like to see his stolen base totals go up in 2015 with him stealing early in the count to Murphy. With only twenty walks and 87 strikeouts, he puts the ball in play. I would like to see that walk rate go up but not at the expense of him losing the ability to put the ball in play consistently. If his walk rate goes up, his on-base-percentage will go up, which I would like to see around .350.

     I know, I know I'm pretty describing a prototypical leadoff hitter. Seeing as how he is the most suitable to be a table setter, I will take the numbers he had last season so long as he develops more as a hitter and a runner. The pitchers will be giving him better pitches at the top of the lineup, so if he is able to duplicate those numbers, you can sign me up for that. Maybe just trying to steal a little bit more. Rickey Henderson's philosophy was, "I always believed I was going to be safe." It allowed for Roger Cedeño to compile a Met franchise record with 66 stolen bases. Seeing as how the Mets are looking like a team that will be squeaking out runs, taking that extra 90 feet will be even more of a factor. With the roster the way it is right now, Lagares could be the spark plug and possibly even the most important part of the lineup.

     I will most definitely enjoy watching Lagares play centerfield and watch him develop into a more polished hitter. I hope Terry pushes him to steal more bases. I think his other offensive numbers will take a small dip though given 500 plus at bats. I think that it's really only Lagares or Granderson in the leadoff spot. I like Granderson in a run producing role more than as a leadoff.

Hopefully Terry Collins doesn't play around with Lagares like he did when trying to choose who should play centerfield. Let's see what the kid can do and hopefully he will happily surprise people that say his numbers in 2013 are his ceiling. "Hey, ya gotta believe!" Right?

No comments:

Post a Comment