Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Player Profile: Curtis Granderson

     I remember Curtis Granderson being the big name hitter in Detroit. Comerica Park was just big enough for Grandy to compile a good amount of triples and doubles while also being just small enough for him to get a decent amount of home runs year after year. He had a nice line drive swing while he was in Detroit and for the beginning of his tenure with the Yankees but towards the end of his time with the Yankees he started to get pull happy. He saw that right field porch at Yankee Stadium and got pull happy. Kevin Long helped Curtis come back to his line drive swing when he would start looking sloppy at the plate. Grandy's strikeout's (119/season) have always been pretty high. That's to be expected with his home run (22/season) totals in today's game.

     Grandy is in a great ballpark for him to hit triples, although his triples might turn into doubles now at the age of 33. He's probably not going to get to 23 triples like he did in 2007 but I think he can still get to around five three baggers. I was kind of surprised to see he hit 20 home runs in 2014. He only had 66 RBI's though. I think, with the help of Kevin Long combined with the drive this guy has, he can reach five triples, around 20 home runs, 75-80 RBIs and ten stolen bases. He had a very good average in the five and six hole last year. He is projected to hit in the six hole and hopefully, his average goes up from .227 to about .260. His average is misleading too because he had two very poor months. In April and August he had 193 at bats and only 18 hits (two homers). That's a .093 average for those two months. If he can raise that hit total to 50, it'll make that average go up to .259. Even if he raises it to 40 hits, that average will become .207. That will make the average a lot more appealing.

     Kevin Long will be able to help Grandy get back quickly if he stubbles throughout the season. Grandy has always been an inspiration in the way he works very hard to stay on the field and be the best player he can be. 

     His work off the field tells you the kind of person he is and he brings that work ethic everywhere he goes. I like Granderson and the more I hear what he's done, the more I root for him. I think he is a clubhouse leader and someone the rookies can look up to. After 2013's injury plagued season, his 2014 season was pretty good but I look to Granderson to being even better in 2015! I just think he should be the one in right field and not Cuddyer either way, they're both at best average players.

No comments:

Post a Comment